Syros
Agios Dimitrios

In 1936, a resident of Ermoupoli had a vision that led to the discovery of an icon of Saint Dimitrios. The beautiful Byzantine style church of Agios Dimitrios was built on the site of the discovery, to welcome the boats arriving on the island. Since then, the ships arriving or leaving the port sound their siren when passing by and the priest answers them by ringing the bells.

Panorama 2

The Pictorial Guides
© fusions.ch 1988-2021
All rights reserved for all countries