Le Grand Chalet (1)

Built in four years, from 1752 to 1756, the "Grande Maison" ("Big House") was renamed "Grand Chalet" in 1852, when it was transformed into a hotel where Victor Hugo stayed, among others. It has 113 windows, 436 m2 of floor space and 5 levels, cellars not included. It was bought by Balthus in 1976 and is still inhabited by Setsuko Klossowska de Rola, the painter's widow, and it cannot be visited.

Place du
Façade est
East façade

The Pictorial Guides
© 1988-2024
All rights reserved for all countries