Engelberg
Engelberg Abbey (2)

The history of the abbey begins in 1120 with the construction of Notre-Dame-des-Anges, a Benedictine abbey which was destroyed by fire in 1729. The abbey we see today was built between 1730 and 1737. Its library hosts manuscripts of Martin Luther, who was an Augustinian monk before he became a leader of the Protestant Reformation.

Panorama 1Panorama 3

The Pictorial Guides
© fusions.ch 1988-2022
All rights reserved for all countries