Solothurn
Riedholz Tower

The Riedholzturm, built in 1548 at the highest point of the old town, is the northern cornerstone of Solothurn. It is in fact the second tower to be built at this location. Its predecessor, the Nydeckturm, was used as a gunpowder keeper. It was struck by lightning in 1546 and exploded, as did the surrounding buildings.

BastionwegBaseltorRemparts

The Pictorial Guides
© fusions.ch 1988-2022
All rights reserved for all countries