Campione d'Italia
Town Hall

In the Lombard dialect of Como, the town is called Campiùn. Contrary to appearances, its name does not mean "champion" but is probably a distortion of Campilionum, the name of a late Roman castle. The addition of "d'Italia" dates back to 1933, when the "podestà" (fascist municipal government) obtained permission from Mussolini to change the name of the town.

Casino
Municipale
Embarcadère
Boat pier

The Pictorial Guides
© fusions.ch 1988-2022
All rights reserved for all countries