Saint-Maurice
Castle of Saint-Maurice (3)

The castle was built from 1476, when Saint-Maurice became a border town between the Vaud Chablais, which had fallen into the hands of the Bernese, and the Lower Valais, which had been annexed by the territories under the control of the Bishop of Sion. It became the seat of the governor, a guard post and a toll house. Rebuilt after 1693 after being devastated by fire, it remained a place of power, still used today for the receptions of the Valais State Council, even if its main vocation is now to host temporary exhibitions.

Panorama 4Panorama 2Panorama 5

The Pictorial Guides
© fusions.ch 1988-2023
All rights reserved for all countries